Working After Retirement in a Home Based Business
If you are thinking of working after retirement, you can start your home based business in the comfort of your own home.
The advantages of starting your own home based business are as follows:
- freedom and flexibility – you decide when and the number of hours you want to work. This will allow you to enjoy your lifestyle in retirement.
- you decide what you want to do and what you enjoy doing, taking into account your own strengths and weaknesses.
- your overheads will be kept to a minimum – no rent to pay, etc
- you save time and money on commuting.
- less stress and anxiety than taking a paid job.
- you enjoy being “your own boss”.
- a portion of your household expenses, such as telephone and utility bills are allowable for tax purposes.
- there is no dress code to worry about.
Working after retirement in your own home based business will also mean a lack of social contact. You may also miss chatting to your colleagues during your lunch-time break.
Here are 10 home business ideas for working after retirement:
- Setting up a consultancy business. Turn your knowledge into revenue. Utilise the knowledge and skills you have accumulated during your working life and set yourself up in home based consultancy business.
- Bookkeeping service. Many small businesses cannot justify employing a full time bookkeeper to maintain their books. If you are an experienced bookkeeper you can provide such services to your clients from the comfort of your home. Working after retirement and constantly juggling with numbers will help to maintain your mental agility.
- Selling in internet auctions – There is a ready market for almost anything you want to sell in online auctions such as eBay. You can begin by looking around your house, garage or attic for items such as used clothes, coins, stamps, arts and crafts that you no longer want, and sell them on eBay. Learn how to start and grow a profitable Net auction business Now!
- Online courses. You can provide academic as well as non-academic courses to help people seeking help or information on a topic. You can grade and sell e-courses for beginner, intermediate or advanced levels. You can also choose to provide the information for free and sell ad space on your website.
- Real estate/letting agency. If you have good knowledge of your local property market, you can set yourself up in business as an estate and/or letting agent. You can display the properties you are selling or letting on behalf of your clients on your website. You then charge your clients an agreed fee or a percentage of the selling price of the property or annual rental value.
- Inventory Service. You can work closely with letting agencies and provide inventory services to landlords and tenants. You’ll need to make a list of inventory in the property and the conditions they are in. You can use a camcorder to record the inventory and charge extra if you provide the information on a DVD.
- Web designer. If you can design quality websites, you can start a home based business to provide a web design service. A good and affordable web design service is always in demand as more businesses are selling their products and services online. Most business owners would prefer to focus their attention on running their businesses and leave the web design service to someone else.
- Turn your hobby into a business – e.g. if you enjoy photography you can display your brilliant pictures on your website and sell your services as a professional photographer. You can travel to your client’s place to take pictures of corporate events, weddings, anniversaries and other celebrations. Working after retirement can be great fun.
- Travel guide for tour operators or write travel ebooks. If you have good local knowledge of a city or place which is very popular with tourist, you can create a website and write articles on tourist attractions about the place. You can contact tour operators and offer your services as a tour guide of the city or place. Make Your Knowledge Sell by writing ebooks about the city or place and sell them online.
- Courier service – If you have a good geographical knowledge of your town or city, you can provide a courier service to the local business. You can set up your website to take orders for pickups and deliveries and payment for your services.
You will need a quality web site to help to promote your business 24/7 and reach a wider audience. Working after retirement should be flexible and you can spend as much or as little time as you like on your home based business.
Working after retirement helps to stimulate the mind and kills boredom.
Working after retirement also brings in extra retirement income to supplement your pension.